January 14 & 15, 2017 from 10:30am-6pm
San Rafael, CA
Facilitated by Suraya Keating and Lesley Currier of Marin Shakespeare Company.
Are you interested in learning skills of using Shakespeare and original theater therapeutically to promote positive life changes among prison inmates, at-risk youth and other marginalized populations? Marin Shakespeare is currently accepting registrations for their 2017 Shakespeare for Social Justice Instructor Training. To register, click HERE.
– why studying and performing Shakespeare with marginalized populations can bring about positive change individually and collectively
– how to use Shakespeare in institutionalized settings to awaken self-expression, self-esteem and pro-social skills
– which Shakespeare plays are particularly suited to prison populations and why
– ways to use ensemble skills to catalyze a conscious community where individuals can thrive as they learn to give and receive support
– how Shakespeare can be used as a launching pad for exploring, sharing and performing life stories
– benefits and cautions in the performing of theater works based on personal experience
– how to build positive relationships within a prison system and confront challenges of prison work successfully
Workshop will be facilitated by Lesley Currier, Managing Director, Marin Shakespeare Company &
Suraya Keating, Shakespeare for Social Justice Director, Marin Shakespeare Company.
PlayFormance Method: Creating Powerful Performances from Scratch
Next Workshop Date TBD
Discounts for students and seniors!
Do you want to learn how to create powerful, poignant performance pieces with groups of youth or adults with little time or resources?
Do you want to use performance to explore meaningful personal and social themes?
Do you want to learn how to use the performance process as an opportunity for individuals in your group to deepen their connection to themselves and to each other?
IF YOU ANSWERED “YES” TO ANY OF THE ABOVE QUESTIONS, THEN THE PLAYFORMANCE METHOD IS FOR YOU!
Each PlayFormance Method training is designed to show teachers, expressive therapists, theater directors, dancers or other performing artists how to generate potent and meaningful material from their group using exercises that feel like “play.” This work is well suited to novice and experience performers alike.
If you are interested in organizing a PlayFormance Training or Consultation at your school, organization or agency, contact Suraya at email@example.com