Master Trainer in Expressive Arts & Drama Therapy
“The Possible’s slow fuse is lit
By the Imagination.”
FOR PSYCHOTHERAPISTS: Are you wanting to bring new inspiration or freshness to your work with clients?
FOR TEACHERS AND ADMINISTRATORS: Would you like to learn simple, practical tools from the arts that enhance student engagement in the learning material and successfully bring out the best in students with multiple learning styles?
Suraya offers master trainings in Expressive Arts and Drama Therapy for PSYCHOTHERAPISTS and for school TEACHERS. Read on to see if one of these trainings may be suitable for your school, agency or consultation group:
DRAMA & EXPRESSIVE ARTS FOR YOUTH WITH SPECIAL NEEDS (available in 4 hour or 8 hour workshop format) In this workshop you will:
- Review the cognitive, physical & emotional strengths and challenges of youth with different types of special needs.
- Assess the usefulness of proximal-distant, structured-unstructured, and concrete-abstract arts activities for different kinds of special needs.
- Practice integrating simple arts activities with any kind of lesson plan or theme (for TEACHERS only)
- Practice integrating simple arts activities within individual and group therapy sessions (for THERAPISTS only)
AGES & STAGES: DRAMA & EXPRESSIVE ARTS FOR PRE-K THROUGH HIGH SCHOOL (available in 4 hour or 8 hour workshop format) In this workshop you will:
- Review the key features of the physical, cognitive and psycho-social stages of child development.
- Learn to differentiate between “actual” age and “developmental” age.
- Identify age-appropriate arts activities that effectively engage and challenge youth.
- Practice integrating age-appropriate arts activities into classes with youth of various ages (for TEACHERS only)
- Practice integrating age-appropriate arts activities into individual and/or group therapy sessions with youth of various ages (for THERAPISTS only)
For current workshop fees, please email or call Suraya: firstname.lastname@example.org 510-841-0888
With a first master’s degree in Developmental Psychology and a second master’s in Expressive Arts Therapy, Suraya’s training and experience in both child development and the arts has lead to her to developing a highly engaging, practical, and enlivening set of tool from the arts that inspire the hearts, minds and bodies of youth from every age and stage of development. Since 1998 Suraya has worked as a Drama and Dance teacher in the public schools, providing drama and dance instruction for thousands of children and teenagers with such companies as Performing Arts Workshop, Opera Piccola, Youth in Arts and Marin Shakespeare Company. Suraya provides ongoing training, workshops and supervision for artists-in-residence, classroom teachers and psychotherapists on ways to effectively integrate the arts into their work. As a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist and Registered Drama Therapist, Suraya has also worked extensively with children and teens with special needs, including children with autism, youth with Asperger’s Syndrome, children with speech and language impairments, socially and emotionally disturbed children, and teenagers at risk of living lives of violence.
“The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom the emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause and stand wrapped in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.” ~Albert Einstein