DESCRIPTION OF THEATER AND DANCE CLASSES
1. THEATER IMPROVISATION This embodied, playful theater course introduces youth to basic skills of improvisational theater, while inviting reflection about the relationship between improvisation and life skills. The program begins with fun, low-pressure, team-building games, and then moves into exploring pantomime, character work, and the establishment of the five essential “W” words of theater: who, what, where, when and why. Both short and long form improv theater methods will be highlighted, as will the golden rule of improvisation, otherwise known as the “yes, and…” principle. If desired by the youth, a performance will be held at the end of the program where students share their skills with an audience.
2. THEATER SKILLS AND PERFORMANCE This introductory acting course will highlight basic skills of acting, including expressiveness of body and voice, creative risk-taking, imagination and various approaches to character development. We will also incorporate skills of plot analysis and identifying key elements of dramatic conflict as well as a character’s objective, obstacles and given circumstances. A short play will be chosen by the group to perform at the end of this 3-month course as a final performance.
3. WORLD DANCE This multi-cultural dance curriculum will build knowledge and understanding of dances from around the globe. In each class, we will study and practice one dance style from a specific region of the world, as well as carve out time to reflect on the unique elements of each dance style. Dance styles from Latin America, Africa, India, Europe and more will be featured, and the history, meaning and cultural aspects of each dance form highlighted.
4. CREATIVE MODERN DANCE & HIP HOP Basic elements of Hip-Hop and Modern Dance will be incorporated into this fun, engaging, high energy dance program. The historical and social roots of Hip-Hop from African-American culture will be discussed, as will the history and evolution of Modern Dance in the U.S. Students will also learn skills of choreography and co-create their own dance routines to music that inspires them.
Monthly Prices for All Courses
OPTION 1: 60 minute class (4 classes per month)
$68 per month per student (minimum 8 students)
($17 per class)
OPTION 2: 75 minute class (4 classes per month)
$80 per month per student (minimum 8 students)
($20 per class)
I have long resonated with the notion from Relational Cultural Theory that there is only one dis-ease on this planet: the dis-ease of disconnection. It is connection that so many of us need an long for: true, heartfelt connection to ourselves, to each other, and to the Earth and all beings. To me, this is one of the key power of utilizing the arts as healing, as the arts and creativity have an amazing ability to cultivate connection on all these levels. Read on to see if you may benefit from a group training on using the arts to build connection.
- Are you wanting to bring new inspiration or freshness to your work with individual clients?
- Would you like to learn simple, practical tools from the arts that enhance engagement of youth or adults and simultaneously build connection, unity and community?
- Are you feeling called to use more embodied, whole-person approaches to cultivating joy and wellness in the workplace or with the clients that you serve?
Suraya offers master trainings in Expressive Arts and Drama Therapy practices for agencies, schools and businesses who are interested in learning cutting-edge arts practices that build unity and community and promote self-expression, joy and a heightened sense of engagement. Whether you are interested in cultivating connection among team members at your agency or business, or interested in learning how the arts can help you in your work with clients in your psychotherapy practice, Suraya designs trainings to meet the needs of your group. Call or email for pricing.
"The services that you brought us was more than I ever imagined. I saw a transformation in the group, and how the Drama Therapy tools you taught us helped the group members connect to inner gifts they didn't even know they had. Thank you!" - M.P.
"Being a part of your Expressive Arts Therapy training changed my life. I never knew how much the arts could be so accessible to so many people. The way you presented things made things easy rather than intimidating." - D.G.
"The training you brought to our staff at the hospital was so refreshing. We rarely get to engage with each other in such fun and uplifting ways. We'd love to have you back!" - T. S.